February 17, 2014
I was reminiscing about the strange wine business journey with a longtime grower client recently over lunch at Willi’s and he said something that surprised me. He said that the single most valuable thing I have done for him over the years was to expand his radar screen to help him detect potential problems before they bit his head off.
October 14, 2013
Joe Montana once whispered in the ear of Jerry Rice those words of San Francisco 49ers legend: “Go long!” Big crops are often followed by smaller crops, but Ma Nature seems intent on “going long” for the 2013 North Coast winegrape harvest as well. Let’s review the field, variety by variety.
August 19, 2013
A winegrape and wine broker reflects on the birth of His Royal Highness Prince George of Cambridge and the looming delivery of the 2013 North Coast winegrape crop.
May 20, 2013
So here we are at half-past spring in 2013. Frost danger is just about over. Both the bulk-wine and grape markets have been active, and tonnage available on the spot market is limited. Most vineyards are reporting two clusters per shoot, as seen last year at this time.
Are we caught in a “Groundhog Day” replay of last year? Well, no, we’re not. Here are two differences.
March 11, 2013
Imagine a year in which the San Francisco Giants don’t look that great, but to everyone’s surprise, they clinch their division, make it to the World Series — and win. Imagine that in the very same year the 49ers look pathetic then somehow get better, win their league and finally make it to the Super Bowl — and almost win. Combine all that baseball and football excitement, and you’d have the runup to the 2012 winegrape harvest Super World Bowl.
Winemakers often associate low yields with higher quality, but it doesn’t always work that way. The bounty of 2012, in contrast to that of 2005, came after two light harvests and when consumer demand was starting to revive. Most wineries were delighted to get the extra volume.
- Apr30Registration deadline: April 25, 2014Submission deadline: April 25, 2014Submission deadline: April 30, 2014Submission deadline: May 2, 2014Submission deadline: May 9, 2014May21Registration deadline: May 16, 2014
NBBJ Pulse Poll
What do you think about the plan for a California Wine Museum in downtown Santa Rosa?
- Like it (60%, 43 votes)
- Don't like it (31%, 22 votes)
- Not sure (9%, 7 votes)
Total voters: 72
Polling period: April 16, 2014 @ 2:00 pm – April 23, 2014 @ 2:00 pmLoading ...
Most popular recent items
- Zenergy maps growth with Google 18,804 view(s) | posted on March 24, 2014
- Business Journal names 2014 Forty Under 40 15,514 view(s) | posted on March 27, 2014
- New tech saps vine water use 7,984 view(s) | posted on March 31, 2014
- Wine conference panels to address latest trends 5,385 view(s) | posted on March 24, 2014
- Plans for wine museum take shape 4,502 view(s) | posted on April 14, 2014
Latest reader comments
Business Journal connections