In addition to the winners, the following projects stood out among those nominated and the Business Journal thought were worth noting (alphabetically by county):Marin CountyEdgehill Mansion renovation, San Rafael
Edgehill Mansion at 75 Magnolia Ave. is a 123-year-old three-story Victorian-style house that was once a dormitory and dining hall for Dominican University of California. Originally, it was a farmhouse then became a preschool and kindergarten.
It became unsafe after the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. The privately funded $8 million restoration project started in July 2009 and transformed the building into Dominican's Heritage and Alumni house with the St. Catherine Benincasa Chapel. It was completed in October 2010.
Team: owner -- Dominican University of California; general contractor -- Wright Contracting, Santa Rosa; architecture -- Mohamad Sadrieh, Sausalito; engineering -- Pound Management, OaklandPacheco Plaza shopping center rehabilitation, Novato
This transformation of a 77,400-square-foot shopping center 1960s-era shopping center on Ignacio Boulevard started in mid-2008 with the planned relocation of anchor grocery tenant Safeway. The $7 million-plus renovation brought in Paradise Foods to fill Safeway's 22,000-square-foot space.
A key component of the project is parking that can be changed into a plaza for art, music and special shopping events. Other elements are a photo-voltaic energy arrays, architecturally integrated stormwater filtration, green-screening, solar shading and extensive new landscaping.
Team: owner -- Walter Kieckhefer Company LLC; general contractor -- Nordby Construction, Santa Rosa; architecture -- Daniel Macdonald AIA Architects, Novato; engineering -- ZFA Structural Engineers, Santa RosaNapa CountyChateau Montelena renovation, Calistoga
The stone construction of the circa 1882 winery and positioning of the building facing north and into a hillside maximizes thermal mass for insulation. A structural renovation had to preserve the iconic Napa Valley winery's history while proceeding after operating hours to minimize disruptions at the tourist destination.
Team: owner -- Chateau Montelena; general contractor -- Wright Contracting, Santa Rosa; architecture -- Patrick Mervin + Associates, Calistoga; engineering -- ZFA Structural Engineers, Santa RosaNapa Valley Vintners offices, St. Helena
This historic renovation turned the Jackse Winery barn, built in 1913, into offices for the 420-plus-winery trade association. Incorporating a number of green features helped garner the project Silver-level LEED certification. Those elements included solar panels, cork flooring, blue jean cotton for insulation, low energy lighting, geothermal heat and cooling, extensive on-site stormwater management systems such as bioswales and semipervious paving, and low-water landscaping with more than 300 shrubs and 42 new trees. The association also is a Certified Green Business.
The building was completed in December 2009, and the association moved in January 2010.
Team: owner -- Napa Valley Vintners; general contractor -- Andrews & Thornley Construction, Napa; architecture -- Architectural Resources Group, San FranciscoSonoma County845 Healdsburg Ave., Healdsburg
In another adaptive reuse of a winery building, G3 Enterprises commissioned an extensive rehabilitation of the brick Oliveto Winery building dating to 1902. To create a two-story, 15,800-square-foot office building for about 75 employees, the project required a new roof, structural reinforcing, new doors and windows, all new utilities and finishes. It was built to the city's new green-building standards. A small residence, two storage buildings and a well shed on the property were removed.
Team: owner -- G3 Enterprises, Modesto; general contractor -- Wright Contracting, Santa Rosa; architecture -- Alan Cohen Architects, Healdsburg; engineering -- MKM Associates, Santa RosaInman Family Winery, Russian River Valley
This new winery on Piner Road west of Santa Rosa was constructed by dismantling an old barn -- originally built in 1883 and rebuilt in 1946 -- and reassembling it around an engineered-steel Butler building swaddled with R-30 insulation in the walls and R-38 on the roof. The project involved an extensive use of recycled materials and green approach to construction, including reclaimed steel, aggregate and wastewater. It also has an electric-car charging station connected to a solar-energy array.